Bipolar Girl Blog

A Bipolar Girl Living with a Narcissistic Husband

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

What has happened to the human race?

My nerves are on edge once more but it is not because of the BP but rather my interaction with my fellow humans that has left me with clenched teeth and balled up fists. Where shall I begin?

My husband and I live in an old home in a neighborhood of old homes. When we bought our house our neighbors consisted on retirees. This was fine by us because they were pleasant, generally kept to themselves and were always polite. Over the last few years we have watched our neighbors either die or be sent to nursing homes. There children inevitably sell their houses and someone comes along and divides the homes up into duplexes. I now have apartments on either side of my house. So far so good, my neighbors are middle aged and don't cause me any issues. But two years ago our one neighbor died who lived two doors down. His wife was sent to live in a nursing facility and the house was sold. Since then the house has been rented out to college students.

The house has a double decker porch. Consequently, I have come to expect double decker fun. I call the residents the "Mardi gras boys" because it reminds me of a scene out of New Orleans. In the summer tens of college students hang off the top porch screaming and yelling at people. They smoke pot and throw there beer cans at motorists and sometimes into my yard. Two summers ago my husband was sitting out on the porch talking on the phone when one of them walked by and peed on our rose bushes. He did not see my husband so my husband stood up and asked him what the hell he was doing. His response was to ask my husband what the fuck his problem was. I was raised by two Homo sapiens rather than members of the canis lupus family- so I know that A.) you don't piss in someone's yard and B.) if you do and get caught you apologize. My husband told him in cursed tones that he did not appreciate him pee'ing in his yard and to get the hell home. The young prince walked away and returned in front of my house with some 10-15 of his party going friends all looking to fight because my husband had rude words with their friend. Now I hear the screaming and yelling so I walk outside my house to see my husband being confronted by a small mob. I bring our German Shepard for good measure and I explain to the heathens that you don't piss in someone's yard and if and when you do you apologize. The one tenant came and apologized to me and kept telling me how sorry he was and it would never happen again. I told him that I expect him and his friends to act like gentleman. I understand their desire to party but not to the extent that it infringes upon the preservation of my property, my safety or the general tranquility of my home. He agreed to keep everyone inside and that was the end of that.

Throughout the summer we often heard them being loud but we did not bother with them. Then when winter came and they kicked over our mailbox breaking it into two. At this point I called their landlord who was was perfectly surprised by the behavior I described. After all one of the renters is an EMT. I told her from now on when they are a problem I will be calling the police.

Time wears on and nothing happens other than the expected disturbances. Which leads me to New Years Eve. We expected them to have a party. We hoped they would keep it indoors. But at 1 am as we lie in bed there are two men screaming and yelling and fighting with each other directly in front of our house. My husband goes outside and yells at them and they apologize and say they are going home and they are very sorry to have woken us up. Now the rest of the house makes their way out onto the lawn. Screaming and yelling. My husband goes down and tells them to take the party inside or leave. They of course tell him to fuck off and what is he going to do about it blah blah blah. My husband never tells anyone he's a Cop because in the past he has had problem neighbors calling and saying he is harassing them the minute they are acting like assholes. I watch from the porch as more than 15 people gather around him screaming and yelling. My husband says he is going to call the cops and one of them screams "go ahead and call the cops." He then does. Three cruisers pull up in front of the house and half of them jump into cars and drive off.

The police have been called to this house a million times. Not by us but by the other neighbors. I would not be so angry if when they are being disruptive they simply went inside and apologized for waking us up, waking the children etc. But its the fuck off attitude coupled with the gang mentality that leaves me raw.

Moving on... I have had a penpal so to speak for two years now. Our conversations are short and meaningless and I am not certain why I continue. He lives in England and initially I thought it would be fun to talk to someone overseas. On numerous occasions he has sent me community invites but I do not accept. I am not very big on the myspace type thing. I do have an account but I don't want to "chat" and load a bunch of pictures and create get to know me questionnaires for everyone. Sometime ago he sent me a short e-mailing advising he had taken a trip to Thailand. When I asked what for, he responded by saying it was for both business and pleasure. Now maybe I am too sensitive but it sent chills down my spine because Thailand is known for its sex trade in children. I assume you can find legal aged hookers in England so I am uncertain why one would need to travel to the east. I tried to shrug it off. Sorry that I digress-back to the invite. I accepted invite and later found out that the site I received an invite from is a "teenager networking site". And several of his circle of friends fall into the teenage category. He is nearly 40. Why in the world is he talking to teenagers? I cancelled my account but I am sick to my stomach.

Now for this evening...I took my children to the library. As we got out of the car there were two men fighting in the parking lot. There was a lot of "you punk bitch, fuck you bitch, don't call me a bitch, bitch" type of thing going on. I try not to cuss in front of my kids - though I know I do cuss here regularly :( The one got in his car and the other continued to walk towards the library. He kept turning around screaming at the other guy but now he was right beside me. I said "hey, my children are standing here- have a little respect." He told me I didn't need to get "all up in his business." I then said, "THIS IS THE LIBRARY." Just then a police officer and a security guard came up to him and told him he had to leave. Of course his mouth ran a muck with the officer as well, but the children and I went inside. I truly hope the officer took his asp out and cracked his shins with it.

I have a hard time understanding a lot of the 20 somethings and below. My mother raised me to say yes ma'am, no ma'am, no thank you ma'am, yes sir, may I... I was never perfect but I knew better than to talk like trailer trash in a public place. How you speak between the 4 walls of your own home is one thing but you do not offend the ears of others unless circumstances insist upon it- and that's in the rarest of situations like someone's beating up your child or your being mugged -something like that.

With that being said I have been working hard to find my inner calm and in honesty I am as pissy as I ever was. Hopefully, the next few days will be calmer.


Love, Light and Peace.....:)

2 Comments:

At 7:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very entertaining post. I thoroughly enjoyed it and needed something to laugh at this morning. I am up at stupid'o'clock in the morning today because I couldn't sleep.

I thought I was the only one who was raised to say yes maam and no maam etc. Even as a kid, I would startle and sometimes offend another kids parents for saying maam or sir. As an adult now, I find it endearing for a child to use such polite phrasing. However, more often than not, I come across people like your neighbors.

I, too, seem to get pissier when I try to be nice and calm. What a struggle.

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger BiPolarGirl said...

I totally know what you mean about the politeness thing. The other night my husband and I were watching Hearts in(of??) Atlantis. Don't know if you have seen it but it takes places I would guess in the 50's. The little boy in the movie is very polite. Yes ma'am, no ma'am etc. I turned to my husband and said where are those kids today?

Even now I say the same things. When I call I say May I speak to....? I call men sir and groups of men gentlemen.

Not to be crazy religious but my mother always taught me not to measure my conduct by the conduct of others. God sets the expectations/standards. I know what they are and I have no excuse for being anything less. I'm not perfect but I can't blame my short comings on little Susie Ann McKay.

Everyday I am given a choice. That's God's gift to us all. I'd appreciate it if he would give me the gift of mild temperment. But I haven't found that gift under the tree as of yet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google