Bipolar Girl Blog

A Bipolar Girl Living with a Narcissistic Husband

Monday, October 23, 2006

Bipolar Isn't An Excuse, It's Simply A Reason

Bipolar Isn’t An Excuse, It’s Simply A Reason


The other day I was on a forum concerning bipolar disorder. There seemed to be a great deal of debate as to whether or not Bipolar is simply an excise for people to act out or perhaps act up. One party said that a bipolar person’s brain does not allow them to be aware of there manic state and therefore they have no control over their actions.


I am not a doctor, a therapist or anything of the like. The only thing I am an expert of is my own life. So, please don’t tell anyone Dr. Alex said this or Dr. Alex said that. I am simply sharing my perspective with you. I am sure there are plenty who would disagree with me. Prior to being diagnosed with bipolar I attributed my mood swings to being an artist. It wasn’t an excuse but I felt it was my personality type. Now that I am fully clear of what I am, I can tell you I am aware of my swings and I know they are simply not a matter of personality.


The Difference Between Excuse and Reason: When I am feeling high (my word for manic) I know I am manic and I am willing and able to ride that wave as far it takes me. When I feel that way there is a certain disconnect in my brain. Yes I know what I am doing is wrong. It isn’t a good idea to go on a shopping spree if it means you won’t be able to make the mortgage. It was probably not a good idea to dye my hair pink this past summer. The poem I wrote about in an earlier post, while cleansing, was not probably the best idea to submit for publication (because sometime in life it might come back to haunt me) When I am manic I have an I don’t give a shit attitude about everything. I don’t care what you think about my hair being pink. I don’t care if the mortgage gets paid. I don’t care if somehow, someway my husband finds out about the poem. Do I understand the repercussions but being overly confident I figure I can handle anything that comes my way. What I am trying to say is that the reality of life and the laws and social expectations surrounding it are not somehow suspended in time for a bipolar going through a manic state. The reason I act in such a fashion is because I am bipolar BUT it does not excuse any of it.


Signs and symptoms of a manic episode of bipolar disorder

happy, expansive, optimistic mood (feeling “high,” feeling better than ever)

alternative mood: irritable, angry, aggressive, provocative, intrusive

impaired judgment; reckless; unpredictable – IS IT IMPAIRED???

excessive involvement in pleasurable or high risk activities, such as sex, drug or alcohol use, or

spending sprees


high physical and mental energy; increased productivity; excited; a feeling of high intelligence and creativity


extremely talkative, rapid thoughts


decreased need for sleep, less ability to sleep


inflated self-importance; in some, delusions or hallucinations


extremely sociable


inability to concentrate; distracted; restless, impulsive


no perception that the mood and behaviors are abnormal


A person in the manic phase of bipolar disorder rarely seeks help; the person may feel good and not recognize that anything is wrong.


Signs and symptoms of a depressive episode of bipolar disorder


profound sadness, hopelessness, pessimism; crying spells
low self-esteem, worthlessness


“flat” mood: apathetic, indifferent; lack of interest or pleasure in most activities


fatigue, lethargy: decreased energy and activity; difficulty getting out of bed in the morning
decreased sexuality


restless, irritable, angry, worried, anxious, guilty


fewer thoughts and less talking; slower thinking and talking


difficulty in concentrating, making decisions, and remembering


social withdrawal; diminished ability to give and feel love


drug or alcohol use


change in appetite; weight gain or loss; loss of interest in food, even if eating more


change in sleep patterns: sleeping more or less than usual


suicidal thoughts, plans, or attempts; life seems devoid of pleasure

I would love to here from someone else what their experiences have been…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google